Share Your Story
The Benefits of Telling Your Story
Psychological trauma is bad for your health. The stress of abuse, violence, or the unexpected death or prolonged suffering of a loved one can cause all sorts of health issues. We invite you to share your story of loss, recovery, healing or inspiration right here, by submitting your story in the red box below. We will read them all and post the approved stories on our site and social media pages.
"Each person has a unique story, unlike any other. These stories are constantly changing and being rewritten, reconstructed, even discarded from the moment we are born until we die. Stories help make sense of the insensible. Stories can help people explore other ways of doing, feeling, thinking and behaving. Forming a story about one’s life experiences improves physical and mental health. Storytelling can be regarded as one of the oldest healing arts; it has been used for centuries as a universal, useful way for the grieving person to cope with loss." - Journey of the Hearts
1. Storytelling is considered one of the oldest healing arts; it has been used for centuries as a beneficial way for grieving people to cope with loss.
2. Stories help us explain the world, making sense of the insensible.
3. Stories are a way of translating memories into a more concrete manner that can be handed down verbally or in written form, helping preserve culture.
4. Stories provide the mechanism by which physicians and patients communicate, look for the meaning of their illness, and discover ways of coping with it. For many patients telling their story is what helps them to cope with or heal from their disease.
5. Dealing with loss involves creating a private personal story and then confiding the story to others to assimilate the loss.
6. Telling (or writing) the story about one’s life experiences has been shown to have beneficial effects on illness symptoms and is associated with improved physical and mental health.
7. Life stories are rewritten to make sense of, find meaning in the loss & reassemble shattered lives. Losses and significant life changes become incorporated into a person’s life story as the loss is assimilated.
8. Grieving individuals should be encouraged to tell their story of grief as often as needed so the reality of the loss becomes real.
9. Personal stories of loss can inspire and provide hope during dark times.
10. Listening to a patient’s story of loss or illness is central to grief support; it can be beneficial for a grieving person in integrating, healing & recovering from the loss.
IMPORTANT SO PLEASE READ: By submitting your story, you agree to let us proof-read your writing for grammar, spelling, and typos. You give us permission to share your story with our site visitors as well as through A New Dawn's social media pages. You will, of course, still own your story, but we will have the rights to share what you submit here. Thank you for sharing! A New Dawn Enterprises.